Members should periodically check their pages on the website to ensure that their details are correct and current. How to find your web page.
Correcting errors or making changes
- The categories under which the page appears
- Accommodation availability
If changes are needed to this data, contact us.
Product Listing Description
Besides the main web page a brief description and a single picture is shown when a search is made or entries are browsed by users. This summary is a hyperlink and the aim is to list your main features such that users will click it to view your main page. It shows icons for some of the facilities, eg dog-friendly and in some cases lists grades and awards. The picture shown on this summary is the same as the first picture on the main page and it is possible to scroll through the other pictures.
- Is the name of the business correct?
- Is the description (About Us) of the business correct and current? Are the spellings and grammar correct? Does it adequately describe your business? We recommend a description of no more than 500 words. If it is too short, you are underselling yourself. If it is too long the reader may be bored. Include key words, eg wood burner or hot tub, as these will be included in a search
- Are the images correct and current? Are they the best images that you can use? Will they be attractive to potential customers? You can have up to 8 images and the first one will be shown by default. Guidandance on the choice of pictures.
- If you are a graded property or restaurant, is the grade correct? If you have awards, are they listed correctly?
- If you are an accommodation property, is the type correct (eg B&B or self-catering) and is the number of bed spaces or rooms correct?
- Are the listed facilities for your business correct.
- Is the phone number correct? You can list up to two phone numbers but they are not shown directly; you must click View Phone Number to expose them.
- Most members specify an email address. If Email Your Enquiry it is clicked, does it create an email and is the address correct?
- Most members specify a URL for their own website. If it is clicked, does your website open?
- The location and directions are listed towards the bottom of the page.
- Is the marked location on the map correct?
- Are the road directions correct. These need to be accurate but in most cases, they do not need to be precise driving instructions. Many businesses list too much information.
- You can also include details of public transport, although few business do. Consider including the nearest railway station and relevant bus routes.
- The address is shown at the top of the page, immediately under the business name. Is it correct and current? If required, the address can be hidden. This can be useful for businesses that are based at home or activities with no fixed base.
Opening times are listed just above the map. Are the opening hours listed? If so, are they correct? If not listed, would they be useful? Consider including the days and times that you are open and also any seasonal variations. Some parts of your business may have times that vary. As an example, pubs may wish to list their opening hours and also the times that they serve food.
If you do include opening dates and times, remember that they should be regularly reviewed.
Prices are listed just under the main description Are the prices listed? If so, are they correct? If not listed, would they be useful? If you do include prices, remember that they should be regularly reviewed.
For members with more than one listing the related business are shown. Examples where this applies could be a hotel that also has a listing for a restaurant or a self-catering business that has separate listings for each of their cottages. Related businesses are displayed at the bottom of the page but it should be noted that they are only shown for gold listings and not silver.
Our preferred method of handling accommodation is to use online booking since it is the best experience for users. If on your website you use one of the booking systems that we support your live availability will be shown on our website. You simply have to set this up once and any changes you make on your own site will be show on ours.
We support booking from the following systems:
You may already have your booking system linked with one of the well-known OTAs and you can also use this booking channel on our website. The follow OTAs are supported:
- Sykes Cottages
If you have online availability and booking set up, Check Availability will show immediately above the contact details. In addition, further details will show under the main description.
Members are unable to add the information about availability and booking themselves and should contact us to make changes.
Accommodation providers that don’t use online availability and booking can add Book Direct which links to a page showing how to make a booking. This link can also be to an online booking system that we don’t support.
Book Direct can also be used by non-accommodation businesses, eg attractions or restaurants, that have online booking.
If you have been given awards, are they all showing. You are unable to add awards yourself and should contact us if they are missing. For accommodation we show grades from VisitBritain, VisitWales or the AA. For restaurants we show AA rosettes or Michelin stars.
If you have a gold listing, any forthcoming events at your location will be listed in a similar manner to Related Businesses (see above).
It is possible for any member to define special offers (eg two for one entry) and the dates when they apply. If the site is visited within the offer period, the offer will be displayed.
Filters and category
It is worth using the website search panel, just like a user would do, to try and find your business.
- Select the type of your business, Stay, Things to Do or Food & Drink, and click Search.
- Select the type of business, eg Camping or Restaurants.
- Click Search and your business should be listed. Depending upon the type of business the list could be long. If you don’t find your business, contact us, as you may have been incorrectly categorised. You are unable to change the category yourself.
- Use Select Location and choose an area in which you think your business is located. Search again and ensure that you are listed. Businesses can be in more than one area, as an example a business in Parkend will be listed under Lydney, Coleford and Cinderford. If you are not listed and your business is correctly marked on the map (see above), contact us,
- Select any of the facilities that your business has, eg Dog Friendly or Hot Tub. Search again and ensure that you are still listed.
Is yours the best listing?
As a final check compare your listing with that of a competitor. Your aim should be for your listing to better than that of your competitors.