Contract £25,000 per year
1 January – 31st December 2020 with possibility of extension
Head of Membership is an exciting new role for Wye Valley & Forest of Dean Tourism (WVFDT) which will nurture and support members and help ensure we have the funds to continue to promote and grow the visitor economy in the Forest of Dean and Wye Valley (DeanWye) area.
In 2018 the visitor economy of the DeanWye area was worth £372 million. In November 2019 an ambitious three-year action plan to grow the DeanWye visitor economy was approved. A key part of the strategy is to increase the income, which includes growing the membership scheme, which currently has around 300 members ranging from self-catering cottages to visitor attractions and experiences. The membership area lies in and around the Forest of Dean and Wye Valley, covering three counties of Gloucestershire, Monmouthshire and Herefordshire. There has been no designated member account management for many years, so this represents a step change in how we support current members and generate additional income.
The Head of Membership will report to the Chair of the WVFDT Board working closely with the Executive Director and Head of Marketing with support from the Administrator.
Role and responsibility:
Relationship Management and Sales
- Establish a new Premium level membership for 2020 acting as Key Account Manager to proactively ensure they take advantage of all relevant opportunities. Create a proactive, engaging relationship with Premium Partner members to ensure obligations stated in the benefits are achieved.
- Retain and build relationships with current members to understand their needs to ensure we they are getting the most out of their membership, and to ensure they understand the value of the service.
- Selling suitable membership packages to new businesses who benefit from the DeanWye visitor economy.
- Be a first point of contact for member enquiries
- Champion the needs of members with the marketing team, ensuring all marketing fulfils the agreements made for the relevant Associates, Silver, Gold and Premium levels.
- Work with the Executive Director to ensure delivery of higher-level stakeholder funding from local authorities and other commercial business as required
Member content coordination
- The Head of Membership will initiate all work with the Head of Marketing, Digital Content Manager and PR agency to ensure the member is represented effectively according to the relevant membership level. This will then be handed over for the marketing team to fulfil
- Work with the Marketing team to set up systems to monitor member exposure through the marketing channels and initiatives to support reporting
Process management and reporting
- Recruitment of members needs to be carried out in a methodical fashion in order that we can reach the targets set. The post holder will create regular reporting and sales targets which are agreed by the WVFDT Board
- Ensure a fully functioning and efficient system of managing membership administration and renewals is in place
- Manage the implementation of a new annual or twice-yearly renewals system
- The Head of Membership will produce an annual report each member identifying return on investment including bookings, web traffic referrals, social media engagements, media coverage working with the marketing team
- Manage a database of members which includes all product and contact details adhering to GDPR legislation.
Development of a new membership structure
- The membership fee structure needs to be updated and simplified. The Head of Membership will lead the development of fees and benefits scheme for 2021.
Communication & Networking
- Manage bi-monthly member meetings ensuring that the agenda and timing is what members want and need to maximise numbers attending
- Work with the Marketing team to create and distribute regular business to business email updates to members about relevant research, industry news, events.
- Encourage members to attend the annual County Tourism forum
- Lead on the annual ‘Hows Business?’ Business Barometer in January – working with the marketing team to create an email survey, chasing responses and reporting back to members the results ideally in February.
- Ensure businesses are aware of training opportunities
- Advise and/or sign post businesses on quality standards and other awards to retain appropriate certification and accreditation.
To apply, email your CV and cover letter to Helen.OKane@wyedeantourism.co.uk by the 20th December 2019.